Old 21-04-2004, 10:10 PM
ned

Default Cacti

"Jason Scott" wrote in message
I have just bought 3 cacti. They seem quite large for the tiny pots

they are
in. Is it OK to put them in bigger pots or do they like to stay

confined and
quite potbound?

Complete gardening novice so treat me with gardening gloves please

lol

Ah, I remember it well.
I started off with three cacti lost in the bottom of yoghourt pots
bought at a local jumble sale.
Three years later one of them flowered - a night flowering Echinopsis.
And I was hooked!
I ended up with 1500 and a greenhouse devoted to them.

I never came to terms with generalisations about them. They come from
a wide range of habitats, from salt laden coastlines to Andean
mountains covered in winter snow. Some will grow in cracks in rocks
and some have huge extensive root systems. It is true to say that
given the right conditions, all 'should' flower. The knack is getting
the conditions right.

Best to start off giving them conventional rootspace. Keep them dry
when its cold. When the weather warms up start giving them a drink but
wait till they dry out again before repeating the process. And they
will appreciate the 'odd' bit of fertiliser - in moderation.
If they are named species, you can get specific advice on how to treat
them from books or Google.
Find out their native habitat and 'try' to emulate it. Of course it
will not always be possible.
You will win some - and you will lose some.
But it can be fascinating.

--
ned