Old 22-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Vox Humana

Default Edible stuff in the front yard

"Ignoramus31046" wrote in message
Being from a country where people considered their land plots as
source of food rather than entertainment, I have hard times
reconciling myself with gardening decorative plants. I personally
plant only what I can eat. Although I would not mind my spouse
devoting herself to planting flowers and whatnot, this is not
something that I see myself doing.

My question, rather, is, what varieties of plants that produce FOOD
can be planted in the FRONT yard.

Some things come to mind.

1. Sunflowers -- beautiful flowers that make nice seeds
2. Corn -- tall grass with some view blocking properties that looks
nice and is also obviously edible. Adds a rustic look to the area
3. Fruit trees -- great flowering in the spring and great looking
crops in the fall.

I am thinking of setting up a nicely decorated compost pile in the
front yard next year, and growing squash in it.

Any other ideas for food plants that look nice int he front yard?

Of course it all depends on where you live and the particulars of your yard.
There is no reason that the things grown in the back yard won't grown in the
front yard. I grew tomato plants among the roses one year. There are some
beautiful leafy vegetables. You can grow Swiss chard "bright lights." If
you don't care what the yard looks like, then simple grow what you want.
Otherwise, look though a seed catalog like Johnny's Seeds and pick out
things that look good that you like to eat and will grow in your area under
the conditions that you have.