Old 22-04-2004, 02:09 AM
Grandpa

Default Potato Planting

Reminds me of the arguement going on now in Albuquerque where the Rio
Grande runs thru it. We have thousands of Salt Cedar trees that
supposedly suck up to 200 gals of water a day (so its been reported
anyway). The city is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars trying
to determine how to eradicate the trees. Area farmers, ranchers and
others continue to advocate the use of goats, they leave behind matter
that'll help new vegetation grow and can be had really cheap. FOr some
reason the local Government is resisting it. Maybe they don't like the
noise of goats eithersigh............

Painted Hand Farm wrote:

In reference to picking the bugs off potato plants, last year was the
first year I did potatoes in the east. My neighbor was horrified that
she and her husband had no bugs on their potato plants to speak of.
She went on & on about how each year they had to pick the bugs off
their plants. I have six roaming guinea hens and it turns out they
picked the bugs off of the entire neighborhood's potato plants. Now
maybe everyone will quit compalining about their squawking and
screeching.