Old 22-04-2004, 04:05 AM
vincent p. norris

Default 0rganic lawn care

Hi! I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me towards
links that can help me learn how to care for our lawn organically
without hazardous chemicals.

Try just doing nothing! That's the ultimate organic plan.

I haven't fertilized my yard for at least 20 years. Probably 30. I
never water it either, even during our central PA droughts.

I use no herbicides, either, because my dog wanders around the yard
in his bare feet. My grandkids too, occasionally. I spend perhaps 30
minutes per summer digging dandelions. No big deal.

My grass has developed deep roots and remains green when other lawns
turn brown. It is not a "showplace" lawn, and doesn't resemble a
putting green, but it looks nice enough, and is healthy and safe for
my family, my dog, and visiting wildlife.

I use a mulching mower and mow high--as high as I can set the mower.
The clipping are rich in nitrogen and fertilize the lawn.

We are planning to aerate our lawn this weekend...

Good idea.

my husband is impatient and wants to fertilize in the chem-lawn kind of way

Rip-off, in my opinion.

If you MUST put something on your lawn, find out if your local sewage
disposal plant sells or gives away compost.

vince norris