Old 22-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Dick

Default Buying plants online?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:54:51 +1000, "Graham Broadbridge"
wrote:

"Adam Gottschalk" wrote in message

While my local aquarium places have plants, usually it's a small
selection, and I can't say I think the plants look like they're very
well cared for. I've found a couple of online sources, such as
aquaticplantdepot.com. Anyone here have experience with such dealers?
Are you more likely to get a healthy specimen than you might be just by
chance to find at your local store?

I've never had a problem with online purchases of plants. Even if they
take 2 days to arrive they survive and give me much more variety than I can
find locally.

Graham.

I have used only online stores to stock my 5 tanks. Very good luck
once I understood that with my light hoods I needed to get only "low
light" (less than 2 watts per gallon) plants. I don't know much about
plants so I bought packaged assortments. Not all worked out as well,
but most survived well and some really flourished. I don't add any
fertilizer, I just let those that like my tank's condition do their
thing.

I last bought plants the end of last summer. The plants that survived
look great. I think I have about 7 species.

I remember buying from LFS when I lived in a big city. I didn't know
anything then about plants and would pick that which caught my eye.
Buying assortments that are selected by light conditions brings
surprises, that is part of the fun.