Old 22-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Janet Price

Default creating a pond to drain water from soggy yard

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have about a
half-acre lot that slopes down from back to front and right to left.
The front yard is fine. The problem's in the back just behind the house
where the yard had to be made to slope up a bit toward the house
creating a sort of dip in the yard. The water can't run downhill
smoothly to the left because there's a small swimming pool and deck there.

I'm also worried--perhaps unnecessarily about creating something that
will end up being labelled as "wetland" and create future problems for
myself or neighbors.

The other thing is that I wonder if I'm successful in draining water
from the problem spot in the middle of my back yard if it will simply
mean that more water comes in from the lot uphill from mine.

Thanks again for your help.

Janet

Janet Price wrote:
Hi,

I have a yard that's soggy in places. The soil's mostly clay and
stones. I had a landscaper out for a free consultation on solving the
problem and he suggested building a small pond (10' x 15' x 4 ' deep at
the deep end) in the low corner of the yard and next year if necessary,
put in some underground pipes to help drain water into it. From reading
the FAQ for this list, it seems to me that I wouldn't be creating a pond
but a small swamp.

Have any of you done this kind of thing successfully?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Janet in Amherst MA