Old 22-04-2004, 03:02 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Default buy snake plant, get free frog?

Subject: buy snake plant, get free frog?
From: Salty Thumb
Date: 4/21/2004 6:39 PM Central Daylight Time
I bought a snake plant (sanseveria laurentii, don't know if I spelled
that right) at Home Depot the other day. Most of them were kind of
scraggly looking and I picked one from the center of the display. (the
display was indoors). When I got home, I notice some cobwebs on the
leaves, so i brought it back outside, put it on the front porch and
sprayed it with a garden hose. At this point, a frog jumps out from
nowhere. It jumped towards the house, landed on the screen door (which
was still closing in mid-jump) and then leaped back to the plant. After
I went to get my camera, it was gone or was hiding really well. I took
the plant to the backyard, sprayed it again and took it inside the garage
after a while. Today, I was getting ready to repot some plants and when
I go to open the bag of Miracle-gro, there's the frog again. I'm
assuming it's the same one, although I though it was darker, it has the
same single stripe, though. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm inclined
to leave it it's own devices, although I wonder if it left some eggs or
something in the plant (some of the shoots look like they could hold
water, like you see bromeiliads doing on nature shows). Why is it just
hanging around? (it's been dry lately). Frog is about 2 inches long
light green with a yellow/tan lateral stripe. The people at the city's
animal control office didn't think I should be too concerned (since the
plant was from indoors, go figure). I will post a picture in the
alt.binaries.pictures.garden group.

Sounds like a green treefrog. (Hyla cinerea). They're common throughout the
southeastern U.S.

-

theoneflasehaddock