Old 22-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Fito

Default Leaf mulch

Peter wrote in message news

some time back around December, a few posters were extolling the virtues
of leaf mulch.
One person (paghat, I think it was) mentioned putting the leafs into a

chicken wire
enclosure and keeping them wet, claiming that they would break down in a

few months
into leaf mulch.

Do you mean leaf mold? If that is what you mean then leaf mold takes quite a
bit longer. From what I understand the earliest is one year before you see
any signs of composted leaves. Its quite easy to create: leave in a pile and
forget for a year or two.

When referring the leaves as a mulch people are usually putting shredded
leaves around the base of plants. The general purpose of this would be for
water retention, soil protection, and fertilizer. They are shredded by lawn
mower, shredders, and chipper/grinders.

Fito