Old 22-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Cacti

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks a bunch, Franz.

I will be sure to keep you busy rearranging my postings for

posterity!!!

You sure must really like to cut and paste!!

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article ,

Jason
Scott
writes
I have just bought 3 cacti. They seem quite large for the

tiny
pots they
are
in. Is it OK to put them in bigger pots or do they like to

stay
confined
and
quite potbound?

No, they're not particularly fussy. But they do tend to fall

over
if the
pot is too small, and if they're the sort that have offshoots

the
offshoots can be a bit squashed by a small pot.

Don't repot them just yet - wait till they're in full growth

in
the
warmer weather - May or June. Use a strip of screwed up

newspaper
hold them if you're worried about the spines.
You need a well drained compost - either add some sharp sand

ordinary
potting compost, or buy a small bag of 'cacti compost'.

Cacti don't like to be cold and wet, so you can water them as

much
as
you like in the summer, but very little in the winter if

they're
indoors
on a windowsill and not at all if their in a greenhouse.

Give them as much light and sun as you can. Depending on type,

you
might
get flowers.

Exactly to which cacti do you allude, Kay?

Night blooming Cereus, giant cardoon or golden barrel?

Or are one of those enlightened souls that thinks Sempervivum

are
cacti?

I took the liberty of putting Cereus-validus' contribution in a

place
where the logical flow of the conversation is maintained a little
better than by top-posting.

Cereus-validus has just made sure that I will not read any more
contributions from him for a while.

Franz