Old 22-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Matthew Donadio

Default Chemical Proportioner

Rob Halgren wrote in message ...
I'm not a fluid dynamicist, nor do I play one on TV, but wouldn't
[a siphon feeder]
work if you hooked up the siphon at the house end of the hose? May be a
bit more difficult to plumb than sticking it on the business end of the
hose, but once the solution is mixed it should stay mixed for the
duration of your 100' run, regardless of pressure drop.

I have tried it with a Hozon siphon feeder attached to the hose-bib on
the house, and then a 100' hose attached to it, and this doesn't work
well. The problem is that siphon feeders work using Bernoulli's
principle (similar mixing fuel and air in a carburetor). A longer
hose attached to the feeder means there is more fluid drag which
results in pressure loss / velocity loss. As a result, the Bernoulli
effect is less pronounced, and less or no fertilizer concentrate gets
sucked into the stream.

--Matt