Old 22-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Lee B.

Default creating a pond to drain water from soggy yard

Around here, they're called retention ponds. When the ground is soggy or
prone to flooding, they dig a pond somewhere on the property. Because it's
lower than the surrounding area, all the water drains to the "pond", thereby
leaving the rest of the property high and dry. Here in FL, most of them stay
full of water all the time. I would not consider it appropriate for koi or
goldfish. Mosquito fish, yes. Fancy fish you want to get attached to: no.
This type of pond is not suitable for recirculation purposes, but it would
make a nice home for frogs, lizards, ducks and any number of other
water-lovin' critters. Some of the ponds are dug deeply enough to keep water
in them all the time, and solar powered pumps are used to make fountains to
keep the water from stagnating. It's a low maintenance pond that can be
quite attractive: but it's not for fish, unless it's a HUGE area.

Lee

"Janet Price" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a yard that's soggy in places. The soil's mostly clay and
stones. I had a landscaper out for a free consultation on solving the
problem and he suggested building a small pond (10' x 15' x 4 ' deep at
the deep end) in the low corner of the yard and next year if necessary,
put in some underground pipes to help drain water into it. From reading
the FAQ for this list, it seems to me that I wouldn't be creating a pond
but a small swamp.

Have any of you done this kind of thing successfully?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Janet in Amherst MA