Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Kay Easton

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question

In article , Gwenhyffar
Milgi writes

The penultimate project is the garden pond. We recently discovered the
natural waterinlet for it (from a stream) and overflow and have now
been able to reestablish the waterflow into and out of the pond.

I have drastically reduced the growth in the pond, and the water is
clearing up by the day. It is inundated with tadpoles, which I enjoy
watching greatly.

You *lucky* thing! A natural pond :-)

I would like to add some fish to this pond, preferably of the type
that will keep the plant growth down, but will leave the tadpoles in
peace. Can anyone point my nose in the right direction for the type of
fish that I would need for my pond, and whereabouts in North Wales I
might be able to get them?

Sticklebacks are small and tough and will coexist with tadpoles.
Tench are larger and are mainly vegetarian. The two we have don't
interfere with the newt or frog tadpoles, and their now about 8 inches
long. I have to add that they're not very visible! We see big splashes
when we approach the pool suddenly, and sometimes we see them if we go
out with a powerful torch after dark, and in summer we see them lurking
under water lily leaves. I'm hoping they're just as invisible to the
heron that visited the other morning, otherwise we may have only one ;-)
In the front pond I have a couple of gudgeon who have been there for
about 8 years, and they didn't trouble the tadpoles - though for the
last 3 years the frogs have migrated to our newer and warmer ponds.

As to sources of these - if you find any, please let me know! I'd like
some more tench.

Oh, I hope everyone likes Belgian chocolates, I've put them on the
bench overthere ggg

No, I don't - but I'll take a couple for my son if that's OK?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: