Old 23-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Phisherman

Default Leaf mulch

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:51:38 -0400, Peter wrote:

some time back around December, a few posters were extolling the virtues of leaf mulch.
One person (paghat, I think it was) mentioned putting the leafs into a chicken wire
enclosure and keeping them wet, claiming that they would break down in a few months
into leaf mulch.

Well, I went into the chicken wire enclosure, and found piles of wet leaves and no
leaf mulch. Doesn't look like anything happened at all over the past few months.
Packed about 40 bags of dead leaves and dropped them off at the landfill.

So, what is the secret??? Obviously getting leaf mulch from leaves seems to be more
of an involved process than just stacking the leaves, keeping them wet and turning
every now and then.

Anyone know???

Thanks !!!

Peter

Leaf mulch is just that--leaf mulch, but leaf mold is something very
special. Wow Peter! I can't believe you took "gardener's gold" to the
landfill! Leaf mold is probably the best form of humus, ranking
first in comparison to other forms of humus including composted
manures. Although you can gather leaf mold from the woodlands, it is
unwise to do so. I have never seen any leaf mold sold in stores nor
co-ops, but you can make your own. You have everything needed and the
procedure correct, all except for one ingredient--patience. After
the first year, you get a little leaf mold, but the second year
something happens. The leaf structure breaks down to a mass of very
fertile black humus. Warm weather greatly speeds the decomposition.
Leaf mold made in this manner will contain 45 to 55% of mineral-like
substances. As soon as the leaf mold is ready, dry it out else it
will continue to decompose and disappear. Before you can use it for
houseplants, it must be screened, sterilized, dried, and screened
again. The volume of leaves to leaf mold is about 30 to 1. One part
leaf mold should be used for 5 parts potting soil. Do not use
limestone on the leaves--it won't speed the process and possibly ruin
the humus composition.