Old 23-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Kim E.

Default 0rganic lawn care

In article wSFhc.772$aQ6.123810@attbi_s51,
says...

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
Hi! I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me towards
links that can help me learn how to care for our lawn organically
without hazardous chemicals. I did a google search, but found mostly
vendor sites which I don't trust that much.

I would be also interested to know what organic lawncare regimes people
here have found to work for them. We are planning to aerate our lawn
this weekend, and my husband is impatient and wants to fertilize in the
chem-lawn kind of way, but he says he is willing to try organic methods
if I can come up with some quickly!

Thanks!

-kim

I applaud your desire to maintain an organic lawn - lawns are one of the
biggest residential contributors to ecological damage. Between excessive
fertilization, weed and pest control chemicals, depletion of natural
resources by overwatering and the pollution created by gas powered lawn
mowers, edgers and blowers (not to mention noise pollution), lawns take a
big toll on the environment.

King County and the City of Seattle have been working towards public
education of organic or natural lawn care and they have an excellent
website. Although regional in approach, the principles should apply to any
part of the country. It's a good place to start:

http://www.cityofseattle.net/util/lawncare/6steps.htm

Thanks to all for your responses!

-kim