Old 23-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Janice

Default wood fence and evergreen flowering vine?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:48:13 -0400, "dr who"
wrote:

I have a wood fence surrounding my house and would like to plant an
evergreen vine that will cover it. I would prefer something that flowers.
The fence is a tight picket privacy type, 6 foot tall and the spacing
between the boards is about 1/16 inch. I live in zone 7, maryland.
What would grow to cover it in about 2 to 3 years maximum, without
damaging the fence?

First, is the fence a shared one, belonging to you and a neighbor?
Even if it is YOUR fence only, if it's on the property line, you're
not likely to keep a vine on just your side of the fence. Might talk
to the neighbor about how they may feel about something like that, or
you could end up in a bit of a neighbor dispute and there's no need as
well as it could turn the place you go for peace into a war zone.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with what you have available in zone 7, more
stuff than I can grow for sure, like you might be able to grow passion
flower vines, but .. don't know if they will stick to wood. Even
virginia creeper with their little suckers might not stick to wood
like they will rocks/masonry. You could always put helpers up for
things to get started up the fence..hooks or something to train vines
up.

Janice