Old 23-04-2004, 10:09 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question - fish and tads

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
snip
I'm not sure there are any fish that won't eat tads. We've realised that
we've lost loads this year to the fish and that we have to put more
over-wintering plants in to help the tads hide from the fish. We're also
thinking of making a sort of 'lagoon' within the pond just for the frogs.

snip

We grew nice crops of froglets until the last couple of years, when our fish
have presumably grown big enough to eat the tads.

I have considered putting some kind of mesh barrier between the deep and
shallow end of the pond with a gauge large enough to admit a tadpole but too
small for a fish.

However I think the result would be very much like a large bore osmotic
membrane - the concentration of tads on the good and bad side would even out
by random movement, and the tads would still get eaten, albeit more slowly.

Has anyone designed a muzzle for fish yet? :-)

Other solutions include donating our large Shubumkin to a neighbour (or the
chip shop) but the smaller gold/black fish may also be big enough to lunch
on Tadpole Anglaise.

Anyone with a sure fire method to allow the fish and tadpoles to co-exist
please tell me.

Cheers
Dave R