Old 23-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Kay Easton

Default Cacti

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

I suspect that these would thrive in a sunny south facing border for most of
the year, and might even overwinter if covered against frost. I may yet try
this :-)

Protection against wet is more important than protection against frost.
They are happy about wet when the weather is warm, and many are happy
about frost if bone dry. This means it is possible to keep some species
outside during winter so long as they are dry and protected from rain.

Protecting against frost but not against wet is not enough - they need
to be considerably warmer to cope with that - below 40 deg you'll have
difficulty if they are wet. (and don't assume above 40 is therefore OK -
I don't start watering mine until May)

But otherwise, yes, they tolerate a lot of neglect (which is what
they're designed for), and equally will take a lot of water in summer if
its offered.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: