Old 23-04-2004, 02:02 PM
J. Del Col

Default 0rganic lawn care

Kim E. wrote in message ia.net...
Hi! I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me towards
links that can help me learn how to care for our lawn organically
without hazardous chemicals. I did a google search, but found mostly
vendor sites which I don't trust that much.

I would be also interested to know what organic lawncare regimes people
here have found to work for them. We are planning to aerate our lawn
this weekend, and my husband is impatient and wants to fertilize in the
chem-lawn kind of way, but he says he is willing to try organic methods
if I can come up with some quickly!

Why have a lawn?

I grew up in the '50's and '60's in suburbs where people were obsessed
with their lawns; their mania seemed a colossal waste of time, energy
and money. (In those days environmental concerns were essentially
non-existent)

If I wanted a big flawless expanse of grass around me, I'd live on a
golf course.

I have grass growing around my house, but nobody would call it a lawn,
not with moss, violets, English daisies, weeds and other interesting
plants mixed in with it. A vast swatch of monoculture lawn is a sea
of boredom, IMHO.

A perfect lawn would be nearly impossible without the use of
herbicides or a large crew of weed pullers willing to spend their
weekends and summers crouched over the crabgrass and purslane.

J. Del Col