Old 23-04-2004, 02:02 PM
escapee

Default wood fence and evergreen flowering vine?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:48:13 -0400, "dr who" opined:

I have a wood fence surrounding my house and would like to plant an
evergreen vine that will cover it. I would prefer something that flowers.
The fence is a tight picket privacy type, 6 foot tall and the spacing
between the boards is about 1/16 inch. I live in zone 7, maryland.
What would grow to cover it in about 2 to 3 years maximum, without
damaging the fence?

Stay away from honeysuckle (especially the Lonicera japonica). Let's see, I
have Clematis terniflora on my back fence. It covers it quite nicely and it's
evergreen for me in zone 8b, so you may want to check around.

Do a search on native plants of Maryland. I'm sure you will come up with a nice
selection of evergreen vines.