Old 23-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Bob S.

Default Raised bed material what do you use?

Janice wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:02:09 -0400, "JRYezierski"
wrote:

What are folks using as the framework of their raised beds?
I'm trying some 2x10's rough hemlock pine.Be interesting on how long they
last in zone 5 Western Massachusetts.
Is the new copper treatment for pressure treated lumber any safer than the
old arsnic pressure treated lumber?

Thanks
Jerome

I haven't done any raised beds here because I have flood irrigation
and I have slugs and putting anything, wood or rocks the garbage can..
on the ground usually shelters slugs. I have little bitty gray ones,
and I have the big brown speckled ones.. they can get 8 - 12 inches
long.

(snip)

Did you see the recent article about caffene being poison for slugs?
Saving your old coffee and tea grounds, making a brew, and spraying
the area to be protected is supposed to kill or run off the slugs. And
it doesn't have to be a strong brew - as little as 2 per cent caffene
is enough to kill them.

Bob