Old 23-04-2004, 05:07 PM
dave @ stejonda

Default Child friendly garden

In message . 24,
Victoria Clare writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
:
In message , Mookamoo
writes
Any suggestions on doing a child friendly garden. I want ti do
something a bit more imaginative than paving slabs, but still have a
tight budget.

X-posted to urg as they will probably have something to offer
[NB uk.d-i-y not deleted]

How old are the children? They will probably have their own ideas.

I like that sentiment, which also suggests that anything you do
shouldn't necessarily be permanent - children change quickly as they
grow up and their needs change too. An adult's idea of a garden for a
child may not match what a child might enjoy, and simply providing
opportunities for creative play can be best - a pile of sand which can
be dug in and built with; a clear patch of soil...

Something I always fancied as a kid: a den right inside a big blackberry
bush.

No-one knows you're in there, if they do they can't get you out without
getting seriously scratched, and you can eat it. What more could one ask!

I grew something similar with runner beans - will grow within a year and
be edible too (and no prickles).

OK, it's not 'safe', it's not sensible, it's not clean or neat. But it
WOULD be cool...

second childhood beckons Victoria

--
dave @ stejonda