Old 23-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default wood fence and evergreen flowering vine?

"dr who" wrote in message
I have a wood fence surrounding my house and would like to plant an
evergreen vine that will cover it. I would prefer something that flowers.
The fence is a tight picket privacy type, 6 foot tall and the spacing
between the boards is about 1/16 inch. I live in zone 7, maryland.
What would grow to cover it in about 2 to 3 years maximum, without
damaging the fence?

Nothing. First there are a VERY limited number of flowering evergreen vines
suitable for zone 7. Second, evergreen anything growing on a wooden
structure will inevitably cause rot and damage due to the rentention of
moisture under the evergreen foliage. And the spacing between boards is so
tight that no air circulation is likely to offset this.

You will be better off if you select something deciduous - a clematis or
non-invasive species of honeysuckle (yes, there are such things), a climbing
rose or even a climbing hydrangea if the area receives some shade. This will
allow the wood to dry out during the winter months when moisture retention
is most likely. And maintenance of the fence will be easier if the
vine/climber selection dies back annually, at least foliage-wise.

pam - gardengal