Old 23-04-2004, 07:12 PM
PK

Default Digging out a quince

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Sue da Nimm" . writes:

I'll second that!
We've got the Wickes Mattock - lovely bit of kit with a fibreglass
shaft. It's HIS really, but I find it useful for all sorts of obs -
including digging out a willow with masses of spreading roots.

Fibreglass? Boggle. Mine is a traditional ash pickaxe handle,
as bought from an agricultural warehouse :-)

Whatever. Those of us with one know how much easier it makes
all sorts of hard digging jobs. I think that we are up to 5
recommendations now :-)

I've had both. the fibreglass gives less shock up the arms when you hit a
rock! But minne did give up the ghost yesterday - one too many stumpe
levered out of the ground. Off to wickees again in the morning!

Of all my garden tools the mattock is by some margin the best value of the
lot. From digging out roots to breaking up virgin ground to srtipping turf -
the ideal tool for each job.

pk