Old 23-04-2004, 07:12 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Default Child friendly garden

Victoria Clare wrote:

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
:

In message , Mookamoo
writes

Any suggestions on doing a child friendly garden. I want ti do
something a bit more imaginative than paving slabs, but still have a
tight budget.

X-posted to urg as they will probably have something to offer

[NB uk.d-i-y not deleted]

How old are the children? They will probably have their own ideas.

Something I always fancied as a kid: a den right inside a big blackberry
bush.

No-one knows you're in there, if they do they can't get you out without
getting seriously scratched, and you can eat it. What more could one ask!

OK, it's not 'safe', it's not sensible, it's not clean or neat. But it
WOULD be cool...

We had better than that. We lived in three or four houses that bordered
an open field that was at that time in use.

A fox track down the hedge center became a series of rooms and tunnels,

allowing secret access from garden to garden.

Sadly, by the tome we all grew up, the outer hedge had become so bare
that the farmer removed it, or track becming his new boundary.

The field is now owned by the doctor who ministered to the dying owner,
and is the subject of inntense anger amongst the residents, who object
to the floodlights and soccer goalposts he has erected...

Victoria