Old 23-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Kay Easton

Default Rhubarb

In article , Paul Eggleton
writes

Hi All,

Last year we moved into a new house, and at the bottom of the garden we
have a large Rhubarb plant. This spring it has exploded with growth and
seems to be growing a large flower. Knowing very little about Rhubarb
I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations about whether to let
it flower or not?

Most people say don't let it flower. Must admit I've never tried leaving
the flower.

Also, when is it best to pick the Rhubarb and how
often can I get away with? Long storks? short? green? red?

If you look carefully at the plant it should have one or more crowns,
each of which is the focus for a number of stalks.
Grasp a stalk firmly and pull it sharply and twist at the same time, and
it should come away easily from the crown. Always leave one full sized
leaf on each crown, but otherwise pick as often as you want, and freeze
some as well.

Stop picking in early July - this gives the plant chance to build up
energy supplies for next season's growth, and the oxalic acid levels in
the stalk are higher later in the year.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: