Old 24-04-2004, 03:02 AM
John Savage

Default Rhubarb

homerpaul writes:
Having moved into a new house I have inherited a rhubarb patch & fruit
trees, can somebody point me to a good website on how to look after
rhubarb & fruit trees.

Rhubarb likes a well-draining loam, plenty of sun, plenty of room to spread
its leaves, plenty of cow manure, and in hot weather plenty of water.
Scratch away a little soil from around each plant and half bury lumps of
aged manure in the depression formed. Cover with leaf mulch or compost to
improve the aesthetics (!) and speed decomposition. Don't cover over the
centre of the plant from where new leaves emerge. Snap off any flower
spikes if they appear. A sprinkling of blood and bone won't go amiss.