Old 24-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Charles

Default Fish Survival Rate

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:59:03 GMT, wrote:

GF are not 100% winter hardy. if you want them all to make it cover the pond with
plastic and drop in a heater try to keep it at least 55oF and good aeration. Ingrid

"news2.news.adelphia.net" wrote:

We built a pond in northern VA last year, about 15' x 22', 2 1/2 feet deep.
Kept at least an opening in the pond through the winter but only 13 of the
17 goldfish survived the winter. No idea what happened to the 4 that didn't
make it, didn't find any remains, etc. when we cleaned the pond a few weeks
ago. Is this unusal for the first year, the fish range in size from about 1
1/2 inches to about 5 inches, the bigger ones are still with us? We had a
lot of string algae all through the winter so took that as a decent sign
that there was plenty of oxygen in the water, didn't feed the fish once the
water dropped below about 55 degrees? Ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Without being really smart, or trying it, is there a way to guess what
wattage would be needed to keep water at some elevated temperature?
Mine is warm enough for normal goldfish survival. we didn't have much
cold here for the last two years, but i have thought about keeping
more demanding fish or tropical water lilies over winter. I'm in
southern california, that's why it's warm.

thanks

--

- Charles
-