Old 24-04-2004, 06:05 AM
McQualude

Default Raised bed material what do you use?

(Bob S.) said:

Did you see the recent article about caffene being poison for slugs?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...6F5-48B2-1D1A-
8B07809EC588EEDF&catID=1

http://tinyurl.com/24ywu

for more info
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=us...caffeine+slugs

Saving your old coffee and tea grounds, making a brew, and spraying
the area to be protected is supposed to kill or run off the slugs. And
it doesn't have to be a strong brew - as little as 2 per cent caffene
is enough to kill them.

According to the article a cup of instant coffee contains about 0.5%
caffeine, brewed coffee has more but as little as 0.1% will deter 1/4
slugs from feeding.

I've been throwing my grounds in the compost bin. We have a nasty slug
problem on the back deck, maybe I'll start throwing the grounds on the
ground and see if it deters the nasty little beasts.

Some of the articles mention that plants are affected by caffeine just
as people are so too much caffeine can cause harm to your plants.
--
McQualude