Old 24-04-2004, 12:03 PM
PK

Default Re-planting Holly

Círdan Falassion wrote:
Evening,

After a few years of living at my current address I am about 3/4 way
through landscaping the garden (it was all humps/bumps as it was
built on natural mountain that has never been worked).
The main sticking point is an 8' Holly tree which just HAS to be
moved. I've done some research on this and am aware that the
likelyhood is that it will die if moved, however it has to be done
and I would therefore like to give it as much chance of survival as
possible (however small that may be!) This link
http://tinyurl.com/2pnd6 gives a guide to planting a new tree, but I
was wondering if that is good advice in general or should I be
looking to do something different with this Holly?

Does it have to be done this year? Best chance would be given by preparing
the year before by digging around the proposed root ball and under cutting,
to promote the development of new roots, thus giving less shock when
actually moved

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/co...7778430.htm?1c
gives good advice

esp wrt rootball size: Determine the size of the soil ball you'll be
digging. For a 1-inch plant, the soil ball should be 14 inches in diameter.
For a 2-inch trunk (or multiple trunks that add to a total of 2 inches),
figure on 22 inches of soil ball. Add about 10 inches for each additional
inch of trunk diameter

pk