Old 24-04-2004, 11:10 PM
john west++++

Default positioning a fence for equal an share

Hi, my neighbour and I are going to build a new wooden fence. At one point
it has to go between a very narrow walking space between our two houses
particularly at a place where every inch counts.

Should the 'outer face' of the fence (of the person who owns it) be exactly
in the middle of the space between the two houses? Or should the centre
line between the houses run down the centre of the posts.

In other words do we end up with an equal width pathway each, or does one
person (the fence owner) have to have the width of the posts into his side?

Sorry if this might sound like 'nit picking', but it's such a narrow space
at one point (due to the houses being at an angle to each other) that it
could be irritating not to get it just right.

many thanks john west