Old 25-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Coir

In a message dated 4/24/2004 7:58:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I've been reading about Coir, the soil conditioner. Anyone out there who
has experimented with it?
Marty

I though we had discussed this before. Coir is coconut fiber and is a
byproduct of coconut production. It is being used by Scotts in MetroMix 500 in
place of milled sphagnum peat moss. It is a renewable resource that is more
friendly to the environment than digging up peat bogs in Canada.
Some opinions are that it is better than peat. However, I think Coir based
potting mixes breakdown faster that peat based mixed and plants require more
frequent repotting.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++