Old 25-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Dr KubicZirK0nia. Phd

Default Any opinions on this cordless grass trimmer?

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:43:12 +0100, "Robert E A Harvey"
wrote:

Random wrote:
As the subject says, has anyone here had any experience of the
following grass trimmer?

My old chum Ron used to say, in a wonderful aberdeen accent "That which is
cheap is generally very nasty".

I've used a lot of tools with these rechargable batteries, and been
dissapointed in every single one of them. Mains powered drills are hundreds
of times better than battery drills,

Rubbish. Battery powered drills can now do almost everything a mains
drill can, the technology leap is amazing, and boy how convenient.

see below

electric screwdrivers run out far too
quickly and are heavy and clumsy. The number of recharge cycles is not very
good: ususally they put a thermistor in the battery and stop charging when
it reaches a certain temperature. That might make the charger cheap and
simple, but it seems to boil the batteries very quickly.

Based on all that, I'd be surprised if something normally based on a small
internal combustion engine could be usefully made round battery drill
technology.

Of course you are quite right in the rest of your post. In the old
days you could trust a tool to do it's job. These days they are
starting to realize just how gullible people are and are making tools
that we THINK we might need, but we'll never use and therefore they
can be made of crap because they are crap. and that includes the
latest batch of power drills at £20 etc

Not many people even use these "bargains" let alone return them
because they are crap.

But we simply must have them, too good to miss etc, etc.

To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch
for signs of activity: Black bear scat is smaller and contains berries;
grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.