Old 25-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Feeding clematis

"me" me@home wrote in message
Sorry if this has been asked a million times... How often are you
supposed to feed your clematis plants, and what would the best food
be. So far I have been using 5-9-8 'So-Green' vine & clematis food.

Thanks,
Luca

Clematis gurus suggest the intial fertilizing in late February or March when
the vines are pruned and again in June or dose with a liquid fertilizer at
three week intervals during the growing season.

Personally, I fertilize about now (I use an organic rose fertilizer) and
that's it. And I don't necessarily fertilize all my clematis vines. I skip
the very vigorous ones like Sweet Autumn, armandii and the montanas,
otherwise the monsters would overtake and engulf the entire garden. I do
mulch with compost annually, though.

pam - gardengal