Old 25-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Humidity Tray Medium

Marbles.

When they get mossy, put them in an old sock, tie a knot and put
in washing machine.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

For several years we've been using plastic humidity trays to

help keep
the humidity up around our plants and also to protect the

shelves they
sit on from water drainage. For most of this time we filled

the trays
with broken sea shells. This keeps the pot up out of the water

so the
water in the tray doesn't wick up into the pot. The problem

we're
having is that the shells get all messy with soil, dirt and

even algae
and as you can imagine the shells are really hard to

effectively clean.
When using a pot with no feet the pot does sometimes sit down

low enough
in the shells to wick water, and pots with feet usually have

their feet
hidden because they sink into the shells.

We've tried gravel, Turface and a number of other things but

don't do
any better.

My question is can anyone think of something better we can use.

I'd
like it to sit high enough that the pot cannot wick water into

the
drainage hole. I'd like it to show off the feet on pots that

have them.
I'd like it to be as invisible as possible. I'd like it to be

cheap and
easy to find or buy. It needs to be water proof and

uniform/level
enough to hold small or large pots (with and without feet) and

most of
all I'd like it to be easy to clean. Wood strips? Masonry

pieces?
Furniture blocks?
Any ideas?
wmcorcor