Old 25-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Kay Easton

Default magnolias

In article , Ann
writes
Hi - I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I purchased a magnolia at
a garden centre yesterday - Heaven Scent. This was the only one of this
variety that they had although they had many other varieties in flower.

The shrub\tree is approx 5ft 6inches tall and is covered in leave bud but no
flower bud to be seen. Now I have planted it I am a little worried that I
have bought one that is 'sterile' or non flowering as so many of the other
varieties at the centre were in flower.

It might be too young - some flower at a few years old, some flower a
lot older.

And there are different species of magnolia that flower at different
times of the year.

Is is possible for a magnolia to be non flowering - are there male\female
magnolias.

I don't think so. The flower has both male and female organs.

Even plants with male and female separate need both a female and a male
flower - how showy it is depends on the pollinator, but if it relies on
insects or birds for pollination it will need a fairly showy male flower
to attract the pollinator to pick up the pollen, and a showy female to
attract the pollinator to dump the pollen on the female flower.

Wind pollinated flowers don't need to be so showy, eg hazel catkins are
male flowers, but the female flowers are tiny little tufts of bright red
- hard to spot unless you're looking for them.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: