Old 25-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Raspberry whirl

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:41:39 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Lucky you! That sounds like the phenomenon known as a 'dust
devil' - I'd
love to see one in lieu of an actual twister!

I don't think you would like to see a twister, well not up close and
personal.

Very true Bob, The last time I saw one - a decent one here, it was
perilously close, running across the bay and then ripping through the
town centre. On the outskirts it took off the roof of a couple of
buildings. I watched as it hit land and raced up the hill and was
awestruck by its power. By US standards it was a tiddler, but a
troublesome one nevertheless.

I saw one while up a hill with my son, who was a self-financing
student and forever thinking of new ways to make money. We watched the
twister forming miles away over the Clyde, and then travel cross country
towards us and our house on the moor below. There was absolutely no
cover to take. I was saying things like "Please let it not get any
closer" and D. was saying "If only I had my camera what a price I could
get for this picture".

My neighbour in a fold of the hills two miles away, out of our sight,
watched it cross her field and garden, spin back towards her house and
and pass over the gable end of her roof, where it sucked off most of the
slates :-(

Janet