Old 25-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question

The message
from Gwenhyffar Milgi contains these words:

The tadpoles are numerous, it seems every frog/toad/newt in the
neighbourhood deposits its spawn in it (yes, we have newts, and one of
those legless thingies).

We find our legless thingies in the local towns, mainly between eleven
pm and midnight.

In the early part of February, the entire
pond was covered in spawn. Then the frost hit, and I thought we had
lost it all, but there are still uncountable numbers of tadpoles. And
lots of other goodies, bugs that run upside down, little white jumping
thingies, things that look like a stick with fins and much, much more.

We'd like something that is mainly vegetarian, as the plantlife is
really, really well established and needs a herd of little somethings
in there.

I've been doing a websearch, and lots of places recommend goldfish or
something called Tench as a bottomfeeder. There's a place in Conwy
that looks on the surface of it as if it could supply what I need.

Rather than let your pond overflow when the water flows in, I'd be
inclined to make a sluice to prevent too much water getting in. With the
present arrangement you risk losing all your fish.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/