Old 25-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Neighbour's shed

The message
from "JK" contains these words:

But do I not still have a
responsibility to inform buyers of the imminent building of a large brick
shed at the bottom of the garden?

That depends on what questions they, or their solicitors, ask you or
your solicitor.
If I was your buyer, my (highly competent) lawyer would certainly ask.
(Solicitors are called lawyers in Scotland).

Even if I don't involve the council it
will become obvious that I have omitted to tell them.

You should ask your solicitor's advice. Do it now, not later. IME,
it's far better to be upfront and matter of fact from the very start,
about any potential downsides. Prospective buyers can then decide for
themselves how much it would impinge on their lives. You will be amazed
to find that what seems an insurmountable objection to one viewer, is
completely trivial to another.

What you (and your lawyer) must avoid, is giving a buyer any excuse to
devalue your property at a much later stage in the proceedings. They
might then feign a last minute change of heart, followed by a reduced
offer which they hope you can't refuse because you're already committed
to your own next purchase.

Janet.