Old 25-04-2004, 11:27 PM
MissJuggs

Default Pricing Hanging Baskets

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:46:32 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

I sell a few plants outside the house. A neighbour has asked me to plant up
15 x 16 inch hanging baskets. She's providing the baskets, I'm paying for
the compost etc and the plants . Will have to buy in all the plants.

Depends on how many you have to do. That size basket will probably
take at least twelve plants each (I am looking at the hanging baskets
I planted up this year and now think I have woefully underplanted).
I'd say nine for the sides and another six for the top, so ideally,
fifteen.

From the GCs, you get those plant pots of babies for baskets - unless
you were forsighted enough to get some plugs to grow on, you'll be
paying about 70p a plant (and hurry, they're nearly finished). So,
that's over a tenner per basket if you do 15 plants. Compost is
almost nothing if you have already bought it in big bags. I think
it's important to mix in some water retaining granules to the compost,
probably that's about 50p per 'shot' with about two or three shots per
basket. So, already, £12.00 or thereabouts in plants and necessities.

Then there's labour. I'd say £15 per basket is not a bad idea.

And now I have costed it out, I _will_ be getting plug plants next
year.

Glenys

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush