Old 25-04-2004, 11:29 PM
jane

Default Any opinions on this cordless grass trimmer?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:11:20 +0100, "Random"
wrote:

~As the subject says, has anyone here had any experience of the following
~grass trimmer?
~
~Argos catalogue, item number 721/7872
~
~http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=92907
~
~Made by Challenge, it's rechargeable, 18v power and £25 - Looks OK from the
~catalogue but then everything else does too!

Please don't! It was a Challenge Argos special I bought three years
ago for £40 with two batteries and which had a pathetic battery life
It was 10 mins at full power per pack to begin with, and five mins of
failing speed. After a year I could only strim for five minutes a
battery before it became too weak to cut even normal grass edging. My
garden is only 30'x20' which is even smaller than yours...

~The garden isn't that big (100m²) so I would have thought that battery life
~shouldn't be an issue but I'd be interested to hear if inyone has seen or
~used one.

100m² can be deceptive - is that 10 x 10m (ie 30'x30') or is the
garden a lot thinner (and therefore longer)?
An electric strimmer plus a good extension lead plus a circuit breaker
would be much better if the garden is relatively short.
If you are out of mains line range, and you can't afford a cheap
petrol strimmer, I would recommend saving till you can...

~If it's rubbish, any decent alternatives that don't cost too much? The only
~other cordless model in Argos is a Black & Decker one for £60 (bit too much
~for my liking!)

I've said it in lots of other 'cordless strimmer' threads over the
past year or two, and will doubtless say it again - you get what you
pay for.
But in my experience of all three types, cordless electric strimmers
cut worse than mains electric which in turn cut much worse than a
cheap petrol etc etc. Conversations with other folk at my allotments
who had cordless battery strimmers for the paths showed we were
unanimous in agreeing that they were rubbish.

A cheap petrol one knocks spots off any electric strimmer, but will
set you back about £100, once you've added in a petrol can, 2 stroke
oil, fuel mixing bottle and the first lot of petrol. Not forgetting
eye protection and hearing defenders but you'll need those anyway.

--
jane

Mark Twain