Old 25-04-2004, 11:29 PM
PeteM

Default Neighbour's shed

Owain posted
"JK" wrote
| I don't see the point in making an issue of it.
| I can certainly see the logic in this. But do I not still
| have a responsibility to inform buyers of the imminent
| building of a large brick shed at the bottom of the garden?

No. You must answer truthfully[1] if the purchaser asks "is the next door
neighbour planning to build Heathrow Terminal Five in the adjoining
garden?".

| Even if I don't involve the council it will become obvious that
| I have omitted to tell them.

That would only be an issue if you had an obligation to tell them[2]. Which
you (probably) don't. Unless they ask. After all, the neighbour's not doing
anything wrong is he.

Owain

[1] Truthfully does not exclude vaguely.

Solicitors always used to use answers like "the vendor is not aware of
any current planning applications but please rely on the usual
searches". I don't see why the same formula shouldn't be used now.

--
PeteM