Old 26-04-2004, 12:05 AM
John Hatpin

Default Digging out a quince

Martin Brown wrote:

In message , John Hatpin
writes
In the process of transforming our front garden, we've come across a
pretty elderly quince that defies all attempts to remove it. With
plenty of patience and secateurs, we've cut it down to about a foot
above ground level, and repeatedly sprayed it with weedkiller, so it's
mostly dead.

You have made your life more difficult. Dead tree like things are a lot
easier to prise out manually if you leave a nice strong 4-5 foot trunk
on top of the roots. Then you have something to really get hold of and
provide leverage.

In this case, there's no trunk to speak of. It's just a tangled mass
of thing, wiry vegetation down there.

We've got it down to about 6' x 2',

??? What size is it? WxHxD

In the WxHxD order, it's about 6x1x2 (feet).

Short of leaving it for a year or two and letting it rot (which
forestalls all our plans for the front garden for that time), is there
any quicker way of getting the thing out?

Stump grinder is probably the fastest option. An old pear tree stump in
my garden took about 15 years to rot down naturally.

Ouch. That's a long time - but being a pear tree, presumably that was
a big, single stump?

To make matters worse, we've got a much larger one in our back garden,
and we were hoping to uproot that too in the current season, to free
up the area for other things. That's bounded on three sides by a
lawn, with a concrete path across the fourth.

Please advise. We're despairing.

You might be better off getting someone with the right tools in to deal
with both of them together.

What kind of tools would you recommend? A mattock seems to come
highly recommended, so I plan to buy one.
--
John H