Old 26-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Ann

Default maypops?

"junkyardcat" expounded:

Thanks for the link. I don't think that's what it is, because the leaves
look different, and there was never any flower on these. I went out and took
several pictures of it, so here are the links to them:
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypop2.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypop3.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypop4.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junky...popcluster.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junky...maypopleaf.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junky...pleafclose.jpg
Sorry for so many picture, but I can't STAND having an unknown plant, LOL!

Thanks for any help
Angie

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
. ..
You may be seeing 'mayapples', Podophyllum peltatum. See
http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/mayhist.html

Dave

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I have some weird looking things growing along my trails. I think they

may
be maypops, but I thought maypop vines had passion flowers on them

before
the fruit appears. Also, one looks like a big tree rather than a vine.

The
fruit is about the size of a lime (or a little smaller), and is very

soft
(if you squeeze it, it pops open, revealing white fleshy pulp). Do I

have
maypops, or something else? I live in East Texas.

Those look like oak galls! Those leaves look like oak leaves. Wasps
lay eggs in the young stems or leaves and they form these galls. I'm
sure if I'm wrong I'll be thoroughly trounced G but they don't look
like anything else to me.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA