Old 26-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Phisherman

Default Filling Tree Cavities

On 25 Apr 2004 19:03:41 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

I have a small cavity, 3" wide, 8" long which used to be only about 1"
deep near the bottom of an old oak. I put roofing cement on it a few
years back to provide a barrier from insects. Unfortunately, it
either didn't work or ran out over time. Now the wound is another
inch deep and shows signs of insect damage. Fresh looking wood
exposed. What would be the best way to fill this cavity? I have
heard some warnings against using concrete, but I have had several
very healthy trees removed that had large cavities filled with
concrete and appeared to be healthy. Any ideas on what to use for
fill woould be appreciated, as well as any ideas on how to treat for
the insects that are there prior to filling.

Years back people used to fill cavities in trees. The recommendation
today is to just keep the area clean and allow the tree to heal
itself. I have a tree that had a rather large cavity, but in 4 years
it healed over and sealed itself.