Old 26-04-2004, 04:12 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message ...
Over the past year, reading URG has made it possible for me to get a
grip on the garden that goes with our house (an established garden
that had been neglected for a few years), and I am proud to say that
all the reading material on here has contributed to my now sprouting
carrots, parsnips, peas, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach and sprouts.
And the potatoes are chitting away as we speak.

It has also made it possible for me to get to grips with the necessary
maintenance and to get things sorted.

The penultimate project is the garden pond. We recently discovered the
natural waterinlet for it (from a stream) and overflow and have now
been able to reestablish the waterflow into and out of the pond.

I have drastically reduced the growth in the pond, and the water is
clearing up by the day. It is inundated with tadpoles, which I enjoy
watching greatly.

I would like to add some fish to this pond, preferably of the type
that will keep the plant growth down, but will leave the tadpoles in
peace. Can anyone point my nose in the right direction for the type of
fish that I would need for my pond, and whereabouts in North Wales I
might be able to get them?

There is one fish that I know is a strict vegetarian and will eat lots of
greenstuff and that is Grass Carp. The problem is they get huge and will eat
anything green starting with your choicest plants first. So don't even think
along those lines.

Tadpoles are a nice tidy packed lunch to most fish so unless you introduce
something rather small, Minnows or Sticklebacks (or even White Cloud
Mountain Minnows) you will lose some Tads. With running water Minnows are a
possibility and they do live together in large numbers whereas Stickleback
are a bit territorial.
On thinking further, whatever you choose it may breed and the young get
washed back into the river so it may be best to use local fish from the
stream not buy in something alien.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars