Old 26-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Martin Brown

Default Dandelions in lawn

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Olly" wrote in message
.. .
I have a large lawn which is full of Dandelions ...
What is the best way of removing them apart from forking them out
which doesn't always get all the root anyway!
Some sort of weed killer that just trats the weed and doesn't harm

the
grass etc. ? Anyone here found something that really works ?

Paint them with glyphosate. Do it with extreme care to minimise the
amount which touches the grass leaves.

Although I sometimes do this I would not recommend it to beginners.
Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate and will die if you walk
across in boots that have over spray on the edges leaving nice clean
boot outlines. Every spec that lands on grass will be an unsightly brown
mark.

So if you walk over a treated weed you leave footprint spots trailing
away...

It isn't quite as bad as using pathclear on lawns but it requires
extreme precision to avoid serious collateral damage so cannot be
recommended.

Much easier to use a specific broadleaf herbicide like Verdone or
generic equivalent to kill the non-grasses. Avoid waste by only hitting
the weeds.

The best overall lawn treatments usually combine a broadleaf weedkiller
with a nitrogen feed. I buy mine deliberately out of sync with reality.
(ie now is the right time to buy discounted Autumnal weed and feed)

Regards,
--
Martin Brown