Old 26-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Fuchsia Question

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:45:37 +0100, Dave Poole wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:42:45 GMT, lid
(Rodger Whitlock) wrote:

There are very, very few hardy fuchsias...

Actually there are a surprising number that *are* hardy to a
greater or lesser extent. Many, for example, will be killed back
to the ground in a normal winter but will then re-shoot from the
roots. I've kept a plant of 'Hidcote Beauty' on the go for years
in spite of its touchiness vis a vis winter cold.

Sorry, but I can't resist (wicked twinge coming on) - here, Fuchsia
boliviensis, fulgens and arborescens are tough enough to self-set and
establish themselves from seed. I spent Sunday afternoon yanking out
2 - 3ft high 1st year seedlings of all three that had found themselves
in inappropriate places. Their tuberous roots are remarkably
resilient. I have a 10 year old plant of 'Eva Boerg' that has spread
to 3 feet high and 4 feet across in a raised border where it gets the
worst that our winters can throw at it. It arrived in a hanging
basket and was unceremoniously shoved into the ground the following
spring. I don't normally 'do' hybrid Fuchsias, but I wouldn't be
without this one.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Drop 'h' when mailing
Growing season: March - November

While googling a while ago I came across a site on hardy fucshias by a
person who lives in Sweden. If they're hardy there they should be hardy in
most UK climates.

Mind you, if it is a German variety it is unlikely to have been selected
for its hardiness. The Germans tend to consider all fuchsias as tender and
only put them in pots and bring them in in winter, or get young plants for
the window boxes in spring. I've never seen a German plant catalogue that
even mention that hardy or half-hardy fuchsias even exist.

Take a few softwood cuttings as insurance for next year and then leave it
out for the winter to see.

--
Tim C.