View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Old 26-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Nina? [IBC] black splotches on Elm leaves

The only disease I know of that causes black spot on elm is "Black spot of elm". It is not a vascular pathogen and it is not an oomycete (i.e. Subdue wouldn't be effective on it). The disease is called stegophora ulmea, and it usually treated with mancoz
eb or maneb. If benomyl is labeled for this use (read the label) then it would be effective, too. With a mild case, you can just remove infected leaves.

Jim, if you know any more details about the disease you are talking about, please let me know- The only vascular disease of elm (besides dutch elm disease) that I'm familiar with is "elm yellows".

-----Original Message-----

Date: Mon Apr 26 08:17:23 EDT 2004
Subject: [IBC] Nina? [IBC] black splotches on Elm leaves
To:

In a message dated 4/25/2004 3:27:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Here is one I have not seen before-
Black splotches, like ink or oil on leaves and new shoots
on most of my elms.

Black Spot disease is not unusual on Elms. I have had success combating this disease by pinching away the infected leaves and spraying with a fungicide, such a Benomyl or the equivalent.

Now, if there is a another disease, i.e., Black Splotch (Nina), I would like to learn about it.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by John Quinn++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Nina Shishkoff

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Quinn++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++