Old 26-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Rez

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

In article , (Shystev99) wrote:
My mother would stick toothpicks in them so that they would
rest on top of a glass of water with just the bottom of the seed wet.

Thanks,
I tried that once before about 4 - 5 years ago and the seed split in half, I
did have it submerged about 3/4 of the way up the seed though, with the pointed
end up. Maybe I just had to much water in the glass and instead of sprouting
the seed just drowned and deteriorated?

The splitting is normal, the seed does that when it germinates. We
used to grow them as house plants in Montana. They are not cold-hardy,
but will grow fine indoors in near-darkness, and can be pruned to any
shape or size. None of our indoor avocados bore fruit, but they looked
nice.

We got tired of doing the toothpick thing and just started sticking
them into pots with any soil that was handy, point-up, and every
single one grew (sometimes they take a while to sprout). This was much
better than the success rate with the water and toothpick thing.

~REZ~