Old 26-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Stew Corman

Default veg garden ph

I had seen several posts long time ago about the benefits of using
fireplace ash blended into the vegetable garden as a means of
providing many minerals...we burn oak primarily. A recent search shows
that most plants like scallion and tomato need slightly acid
conditions, but the ash is obviouly basic in nature. I heavily mulch
the garden using rotted leaf mulch so there is plenty of organic
matter blended in. If upon testing, I need to lower the ph due to the
ashes, what is typical for this application ... I know that lime is
used to raise ph, but unlike grass lawns, a veggie garden is not
supposed to get past 7.0

I was thinking of spreading oak shavings from woodworking as a means
to add acid.

TIA for any tips

Stew Corman